We are excited to now offer the Picasso dental laser in our practice, The Picasso laser will allow us to perform a wider array of procedures, reduce healing times, and minimize post-operative pain, enhancing patient comfort.
The laser works by emitting concentrated energy in the form of a light beam. This beam vaporizes matter. The dental laser delivers a narrow beam which vaporizes only a specific number of cell layers that are contacted by the laser beam. This gives the operator precise control over the laser. The dental laser has the advantage of not creating unwanted surgical effects. The laser stops bleeding,and seals nerve endings, and greatly reduces the post-operative inflammation and associated discomfort.
The procedure consists of placing a topical anesthetic (numbing gel), rinsing and drying the tissue, and then painlessly removing the unwanted gum tissue. The edges of the treated tissue return to a normal appearance in a couple of days.
In summary the advantages of the soft-tissue laser are:
- Accelerates orthodontic treatment by allowing earlier access to impacted teeth.
- Precise removal of tissue.
- Painless – since the nerve endings are sealed during the procedure.
- Bloodless – since the tissue is cauterized.
- Sterile – the laser tip sterilizes the procedure area.
- Quicker and more comfortable healing.
In addition to accelerating orthodontic treatment, the laser can be used for:
- Prevention and accelerated healing of canker sores.
- Prevention and accelerated healing of cold sores (ie. herpetic lesions).
- Reducing tooth sensitivity.
- Tooth whitening.